Tuesday 3 February 2015

The first assessed simulation

Today we got a taste of negotiating in a medium-sized group, as we discussed what sort of criteria should be used to evaluate the Eurovan vs. Onasti simulation, as well as some one-on-one negotiating in the form of the actual simulation. The premise was that I was a representative of the Eurovan government and I was up against the representative of the wealthy oil magnate Onasti.

Unfortunately, the recording device was a bit too far away from us so the audio is a bit quiet. Also, the distance to the other pair wasn't probably enough, as the microphone seemed to pick up the other conversation as well. Sorry about that.



The negotation itself went decently. I think the end result was a win-win situation, even though I did make some compromises I probably shouldn't have done, like the 100% tax reduction. I went to the negotiation table with the premise, that Eurovan absolutely needs the oil, even if it means having to be a bit more flexible what the instruction sheet said.

We agreed upon a deal that satisfied both parties involved since we both made some compromises. Overall, I had a positive feeling after the negotiation. We both were calm and respected each other during the discussion. That being said, there are some things I could have done better. Most of the time I kept looking at my papers instead of making proper eye-contact. I also have an annoying habit of shaking my right leg (which can be seen also in the video). For the next negotiation, these two things are definitely something I need to take into account. Also, I probably should be a bit more aggresive in the actual negotiating to get a better deal. Improving these matters will definitely be a good challenge for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment